Sunday, October 10, 2010

Fresh Ricotta


It would seem that I have been bitten by the cheese making bug. Not sure where it came from, but bitten none the less. My neighbor showed up the other day with a liter of raw milk from a friends farm. What to do with this windfall. Well you guessed it, cheese. In particular ricotta. Pretty easy to do and almost instant gratification.
Raw milk into a pot, some lemon juice, a strainer and some cheesecloth, done. I added a bit of salt and some lemon rind for a fresh ricotta that was almost perfect for my tastes.
The first dish I made with it was a free form lasagna with charred green tomato sauce, balsamic reduction, and some lovely wild mushrooms. This was super tasty and not too bad on the eyes either.
Now that I have the bug I have moved on to fresh mozzarella and it's sublime cousin Buratta. Stay tuned for more.

No comments: