Saturday, September 22, 2007

What's new

Wow, this has taken entirely too long. When last I typed, I was just starting a blog, I intended to devote time to. Hah. How life makes fools of us all. Well the kitchen is finished and the work steady. I had great plans to come on every Sunday and ramble on (as those who know me will attest......Man can he go on and on.) about everything food related. That was the plan. Maybe I should have thought about the timing a little more. Must have something to do with being a chef and being so "a la minute". I can really only see the next meal, not always the whole picture.
What all this boils down to is this. After getting the kitchen going and putting our name out there. My wife and I had our third son. You would think that having had two previous, I'd have known the work and sleep defficit quotient. But as I said before, not great at the big picture thing. So although I have pined over this site and all I want for it, my family until now has been more in need of my full attention.
Thats it for the excuses and the appologies ( for the three poeple who have read this blog, thanks mom, Nahad, and that person that got lost on the info superhighway and ended up here).
This week I want to try an idea that I have had in my head for a while now. It's a combination of ideas that I gleaned from various sources. It starts with a few slices of salmon sashimi. This gets topped with a jalapeno relish (a la Nobu).
There is another component to the dish I have wanted to try. An avocado vase, holding a small salad. The idea of freezing an avocado mash in a thin sheet is something I have seenon a few blogs recently. After freezing the sheet can be cut to any shape. So far all I have seen are flat shapes on plates. I figured you could cut strips and wrap them around a cylinder and back into the freezer till service. Pop it out and fill with small lettuce leaves. I'll take some pics as I go. Heres hoping the avocado idea plays out.

No comments: