Monday, November 16, 2009

Some new reading





I have picked up some new books in the last week. Time to get that last bit of reading in before I am too busy until New Years. Momofuku and Ad Hoc at Home. Keller and Chang. Made for an interesting weekend of reading. First off, Thomas Keller can make the most inspiring creations from what may be lurking in your refrigerator. It is certainly inspiring to remember that family meals can be every bit as tasty and elaborate (in preparation not presentation) as any of the fine meals I serve. Some interesting methods for the home cook. A book I would give to friends or good customers as a thank you. Highly recomended.
Chang's Momofuku is alsoa fun read. One part Korean cookbook one part Anthony Bourdain styled commentary. A really good read. And to find out he has been purchasing pre made steamed buns. His buns have been called the best there is. Funny that all kinds of restaurants have had the best there is, just a phone call away. Who knew. The recipes rock. I have always had a predilection towards Asian food. You cook what you know and that's what I ate growing up. I will have to make a couple of my faves from this book and post them here. Aside from some time preparing and doing the smoking, much of this book is simple and straight forward. Easily done from the average home kitchen and cook.
Almost forgot I also picked up Maze by Bozo the Clown (ok it's really by Gordon Ramsey). The TV persona and the real chef are quite a bit different from each other (but no less brash and abbrassive). This book actually impressed me. I really like his clean straightforward food presentation. Simple rules the day, ofcourse with elaborate preparations. This book would be welcome in the seasoned home cooks bookshelf. IF you like seafood I find his fish preparations are simpe, clean and pure of flavor. I will also have to make one or two of these recipes and post them.
Heres hoping Santa finds a few gems in the bookstore and puts them under my tree.
Happy reading and cooking.....
Jay

No comments: