Sunday, March 13, 2011

Roasted poblano avocado sauce


I stumbled onto this idea a couple of weeks ago. I had read somewhere about a sauce with poblanos and avocados and it just stuck in my head. I needed to try it out on something. Well the pork belly the other night was just the right moment. And boy was I glad I did. This is my new fave sauce. Tangy, smokey, really great mouthfeel, and a consistency that allows for alot of different plating techniques. It was perfect with the pork belly as it cut through the unctuousness of it. But I had a bunch left over. What was I to do with it.
The first idea was to see how it would do as a pasta sauce. The thought was to just add a little cream and check it out. DAMN. You need to make this sauce.

1 poblano, blistered over a flame and peeled.
1 lrg. avocado

Pretty simple no. Put the peeled and seeded chili in a container with the avocado. Blitz with an immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper. If you ar egoing to use it as is as sauce for a meat or seafood dish, just give it a small squeeze of lime and maybe a pinch of smoked paprika.
If you are using it as a pasta sauce, add enough cream to reduce to a sauce that will stick to your desired pasta. Omit the lime. Opt here for a squeeze of lemon at the very end.
Enjoy. I have, and will continue to make this sauce. BTW it's even good cold.

No comments: