Saturday, December 15, 2007

New Dishes




Sometimes things just come together like you had in mind for them. It always brings a smile to my face when you don't need to tinker to get it just right. This is how I would like more days to go when working in the kitchen. We are just finishing up on a great many Christmas parties. I tries alot of new ideas and techniques in the past few weeks. I will showcase some of them here.

To start we have a panna cotta of spiced cauliflower. An idea I gleaned from a cookbook a while back. It came out beutifully. My only complaint is we didn't have the right size glass to serve it in. We usually rent our tablewares and they didn't have a cordial glass large enough to get a spoon into, nor small enough for the portion size I envisioned. Oh well if thats my only complaint on this one, so be it. The taste and texture were superb.

The second dish is an oyster on the half shell with pickled ginger sorbet and Lumpfish roe. (some nicer caviar would have been better but not in the budget). This dish was a real treat for oyster lovers. The taste of the sea from the oyster mixed with the heat and sweetness of the sorbet, and finally the salty finish and slight texture from the lump roe. A really great combination.

No comments: