Saturday, December 29, 2007

Transglutiminase

Scary sounding product at first. But wow does this stuff work well. Transglutiminase is, from what I understand, an enzyme that will bond two proteins together. I first saw this used on the Ideas In Food website. They had fused chicken skin to sea bass if I remember correctly. After much searching I managed to get ahold of some. My first attempt was with duck. I deboned a whole duck and removed the skin. After seasoning the meat, a liberal sprinkling of this enzyme coated the meat. The duck was rolled up like a ballotine and the skin (which was cleaned and trimmed (somewhat) was wrapped around the ballotine. Plastic wrapped tightly and into the fridge overnight. The duck produced two beautiful ballotines, that were really nice and tight as well as sealed at the seam relly well. I have to say my first attempt was definitely a success. Unfortunately no pictures as I used it for a family Christmas dinner.
Today though, I am going to wrap up a flank steak for various applications. I can really see the potential for one bite dishes with this product that would be impossible or otherwise messy without it. The flank trimmed and butterflied can be rolled up nice and tight, wrapped in caul fat and cooked sous vide with various seasonings and marinades. I hope to try 3 new dishes with the flank I have.

After opening my freezer I found that I had only parts of flank. Well onward ho I went. Looking through the pantry and fridge this morning I came up with some other projects to use up this product (tgm). Hopefully I will add a couple of other dishes to this set in the near future.
Cheers

No comments: