Saturday, December 29, 2007

More Worthy Cookbooks




It has been such a whirlwind this December that I have not had the time to post all I have wanted to. I really wanted to get this one out there as it features a few really great cookbooks. I will, over the coming weeks, cook a dish from each one of these books, and see how they come out. I usually do not follow recipes but more the idea. But in these cases I have decided to cook verbatim from the books to see the accuracy. And hopefully inspire some of you to purchase some of them.

Up first: Nobu West
A really great book. Beautifully presented dishes with some innovative techniques. It's one of my favorite Asian Cookbooks. I prepared a version of his salmon tataki a while back and posted it. I have also made his playful dessert that is a deconstructed cappuccino.

Second: Morimoto the new art of japanese cooking.
It is really just that, the new art of japanese cooking. I really love his vision of food. Clean, pure flavors. Many, many, many, techniques to be gleaned from this one.

And lastly: Raw (By Charlie Trotter and Roseanne Klein)
Charlie Trotter is the first chef that I really respected. I learned more from his cookbooks than from alot of my culinary education. I have sadly still not eaten in his restaurant. But I will take solice in his cookbooks. And this is one of the better ones. It focuses on the raw food movement. No dish in this book has had any heat (except for a dehydrator) applied to it in any way. It is this fact that makes these dishes so spectacular. I am not a really big proponent of raw food. In fact I have never eaten at a raw restaurant, but there are dishes in here worthy of adding to your repertoire. I will be doing several dishes from this book, so look for them.
I hope you get inspired from these books or dishes I post. If there are any cookbooks you have that you think are in this vein please let me know. I'd love to read them.
Cheers

No comments: